Sunday, April 25, 2010

Why rabbits?

I saw a rabbit just outside our back window this morning as I was making breakfast for everyone who had yet to wake up. I sat there and watched him (let's assume he was a he) eating grass. Or clover. Or whatever rabbits eat from my yard. I then thought, "Why did God create rabbits?" I mean, they really don't have any significance on the whole ecological chain thing. Sure, some animals and people (mostly in Appalachia) eat them. Some use their feet for good luck. (Which is weird.) I then thought even deeper and wondered what this rabbit was thinking. Or feeling. Contentment from eating? Feeling the dew on the grass? Basking in the morning sun? Yeah, maybe. He obviously was oblivious to this "higher intelligence" staring at him through the window. He really didn't care. Of course, had God never created rabbits there would be no Easter Bunny. No Energizer Rabbit. No Peter Cottontail. But that wasn't God's plan. What was God's plan for rabbits is beyond my understanding. It then occurred to me that perhaps I was oblivious to God's staring at me. Smiling. Yeah, maybe. But it did feel good to be between rabbits and God. And it was really nice to see him and realize he's nearby. I believe he lives underneath my back porch.

The rabbit, I mean.

2 comments: