Saturday, June 26, 2010

Father Naus

I had the typical Walmart-style religious upbringing. Go to church. Be bored. Absorb nothing. Think of myself for an entire week. Repeat.

Fast forward to my college years. Being a Protestant entering a Jesuit University like Marquette made me feel awkward enough. But meeting a priest for the very first time was highly intimidating. But there he was larger than life, Father Naus.

He wasn't what I had expected a priest to be like. He laughed quickly. His voice was a delightful and hearty mixture of booming authority, open acceptance and good cheer. He spent every Thanksgiving in the dorm with the students who couldn't make it home. For any event, he dressed like a clown, Tumbleweed, telling bad jokes and making balloon animals for everyone. I also remember that he limped because of a case of polo when he was a child. He taught two classes that I remember; The History of Humor and Oriental Philosophy. I so much wanted to take the first but due to a class scheduling "reshuffling of the cards" Father Naus taught me the ways of Confucius.

Even though it has been years, albeit decades, since I have seen Father Naus, I do think of him often. He sends his Christmas cards in the summer; astonishingly, to more than 7,000 to students he has befriended over the years. And although I have moved frequently, he always seems to find me. I occasionally send him a letter back. I did after my first trip to Honduras in 2008, telling him that he has had such a positive influence on my faith journey. I owe him another letter today.

Truth be told, I thought I'd write this posting about how much Father Naus is like Jesus. But I now believe that that would be inappropriate. And I don't think he'd much agree. Father Naus, that is. But I do wonder what the world would be like if we had just a few more like him. Those who overcame hardship and poured their hearts and gifts out onto others. Those who spent their days giving of themselves rather than taking. Those willing to dress like a clown simply to give some much-needed good cheer to others.

Someday the summertime Christmas cards will stop and there will be an emptiness inside of me. But I am so very glad and blessed to have had someone like Father Naus point the way for me.

Do you have someone? I'd enjoy hearing about your Father Naus. Feel free to write a comment ...

No comments:

Post a Comment